It’s a 24/7 fully automated operation, averaging around 200 vehicles a day and processing 320 tonnes of waste.
The Western Transfer Station in Auckland’s Selwood Road, which opened at the end of last year, is a busy hive of activity, featuring some innovative features that make it efficient for both our team and customers.
Although the site is staffed by a dedicated team six days a week, it can also be accessed by trucks 24/7 using the fully automated weighbridge, lights, gates and roller doors. Drivers have 15 minutes to tip the waste, before the site locks down again (there is a back-up system so they can get out if needed!).
The facility is not open to the general public, and only commercial customers who have registered with Waste Management can gain access.
Some points of interest include:
- All scrap metal, timber, green waste and hardfill is recovered from the tipping floor and sent for reuse or recycling
- Out of hours access for all registered users is solely based on license plate recognition (LPR) which triggers the site automation and weighbridges
- Customer turnaround time is currently averaging at six minutes and is measured from in/out weighbridge transactions
- It is one of the few transfer stations in New Zealand set up to receive leachate, which is gravity fed into tanks and then into the sewerage system where it is treated as wastewater
- The RTS facility is 6,500m2 and there is a corporate office (see photo), where some of the Auckland sales team is based – this is a great way to provide flexibility and less commute time into East Tamaki Road
- There is a deodorising system in place to deal with any unpleasant smells.
- A stormwater treatment system around the perimeter of the site ensures water quality
A fantastic facility demonstrating our Waste Management values of innovation, safety and service.